function dbxInitiate(gid){ container = document.getElementById(gid); if(container == null) { return; } eles2 = container.getElementsByTagName('h2'); for(var i=0;i

Summer Jams I: The Isle of Wight - 8.26.70

Posted by Artster63



Over the years I had heard of "The Isle of Wight" when great groups like The Doors, E.L.P. and The Who were mentioned. I would dismiss it as just another concert scene kind of like a "Woodstock". As it turns out is was actually bigger than Woodstock, Live Aid and Summer Jam at Watkins Glen during it's run. It actually had run 3 festival dates from 1968 to 1970. Estimated attendance of over 600,000 would invade this small island on the southern shore of Great Britain to see Jimi Hendrix in all his glory. Can you imagine the scene? If you were there I'd love to talk to you.

This turns out not to be as peaceful and full of love as the Woodstock gathering, hence the locals ban future concerts. After a thirty two year gap, Robert Plant kick starts the revived Isle of Wight Festival, at Seaclose Park on a green field site with the river Medina running lazily past. With his lions mane of hair and legend intact, Plant revives 'Hey Joe' as a tribute to Jimi, and 'Going to California' as a nod to Led Zeppelin, and his band mix psychedelia and world music to create something new, a bewitching backdrop to Robert's banshee wail.*

This was the line-up: (Courtesy of Brian Hinton & isleofwightfestival.com *)

Wednesday 26th: Judas Jump, Kathy Smith, Rosalie Sorrels, David Bromberg, Redbone, Kris Kristofferson, Mighty Baby.

Thursday 27th: Gary Farr, Supertramp, Andy Roberts Everyone, Howl, Black Widow, Groundhogs, Terry Reid, Gilberto Gil.

Friday 28th: Fairfield Parlour, Arrival, Lighthouse, Taste, Tony Joe White, Chicago, Family, Procol Harum, The Voices of East Harlem, Cactus.

Saturday 29th: John Sebastian, Shawn Phillips, Lighthouse, Joni Mitchell, Tiny Tim, Miles Davis, Ten Years After, Emerson Lake and Palmer, The Doors, The Who, Melanie, Sly and the Family Stone. Mungo Jerry were there but decided not to play.Tiny Tim with Islanders Cas Caswell bass & Jack Richards drums.

Sunday 30th: Good News, Kris Kristofferson, Ralph McTell, Heaven, Free, Donovan, Pentangle, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, Richie Havens, Hawkwind

I don't know where I've been that I hadn't looked into this "hippie fest" sooner. Must of been too much of the "Everclear" punch in my system or something. Anyways, I've gathered some videos from the performance. Like many documentaries made of these iconic festivals, many great but lesser known groups wind up on the editing room floor. It is my goal to search out anything on groups like Mighty Baby, Black Widow, Lighthouse and Cactus.

Please enjoy and have a great "4th of July" weekend.



This entry was posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

11 comments

I wish I could go back in time. I really do. I think I was meant for that era because I sure don't fit in very well in this one.

Thanks for a great post - I had never paid attention to this either.

Unreal.

although i'm an eighties baby, I still ejoy sounds from the 70's, I really like your theme.

super cool blog, blogger. :)
Hey incidentally did you know that Hendrix opened for the Monkees? It's true. He was bood off the stage, practically. Cus the audience was a bunch of 12 year olds and their moms. Hehe!

I love the Monkees, though. I have seen them five times in concert. But Hendrix zero, unfortunately. :(

Just finding your site via EC. Very cool!

Thank you for your kind comments on our The Rocking Blood Brothers site! (http://www.therockingbloodbrothers.com/).

We took the liberty to add your site to links :)

@Layla-
I know what you mean. I always thought I was born about 10 years too late. Kinda like I missed the party.

@jackie-
Thanks jackie and I know of some 90's babies who are digging these classics too. Just straightforward rock.

@UmassSlytherin-
Thanks for sharing the Hendrix trivia. I never heard that one. The Monkees - a handful of good songs, but the car, now their car really rocked.

@Carol-
Thanks for visiting. Hope to see you again.

@The Rocking Blood Brothers-
You guys have some awesome tunes going. A lot of 70's influence can be heard. Good luck and keep up the good work. Thanks for the link. I've got you guys in my list.

Hey... just checking back on some of the posts whilst browsing the site and spotted this one. A fine subject indeed. To my mind The Who's Live At The Isle Of Wight DVD is simply one of the finest concert DVD's available. Stunning.

I see a mention of Gary Farr playing too. His "Strange Fruit" album got a CD issue for the first time this year. Got it sat here on my desk but havn't honestly given it much attention yet... but will now!

Added a link to this site from my own now... I'll be a regular visitor from now on!

Bill

http://rockofages.wordpress.com

Rory Gallagher and Taste was fantastic at the Isle of Wight! 5 encores!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSWEBH9WOQQ

Anonymous  

Hi there, got on this page while searching for Isle of Wight 1970 festival. Come and see us talking about the festival on http://isleofwightfestival1970.da-forum.com/ the official 1970 I.o.W festival forum. I'm a 1970 I.o.W festival veteran. Keep on the good work :)

Came to this page searching for the Isle of Wight show.

Thought I would leave a link behind to my writing on Hendrix.

http://opnotes.blogspot.com/2010/09/west-coast-seattle-boythe-jimi-hendrix.html

steve mcgregor  

I was there, so were about half a million others and more. so great and raw, shit in cakes everywhere, goulash in big pots even anarchists of some sort. Ricky Farr- great front man for festival. Mates there got lost, the who with the killer car arena...on and on it went, 5 days, tent stayed in its bag, no portaloos then a real latrine! it was great to be 17 then pity my girlfriend could not be there too. Never to be forgotten think it could be so good again??? JUST KEEP THIS SITE UP